This is a single-marker test measuring insulin. It can be ordered as part of a custom panel.
Ordering the Fasting Insulin Test From BioReference Laboratories
Insulin is a hormone that helps move blood glucose from the bloodstream into the cells. Glucose comes from the food we eat and drink and is the body's preferred energy source.
Insulin plays a key role in keeping glucose at physiological levels. When glucose levels are too high or too low, it can cause health issues.
Glucose levels outside of normal levels are known as:
- Hyperglycemia is a condition when blood glucose levels are too high. This can happen when the body doesn't produce enough insulin. Thus, glucose can't get into the cells and stays in the bloodstream.
- Hypoglycemia is a condition when blood glucose levels are too low. If your body sends too much insulin into the blood, too much glucose will go into your cells. This leaves less in the bloodstream.
- Diabetes is a disease and the most common cause of abnormal glucose levels. There are two types of diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes, when there is a deficiency in the production of insulin at all. This can cause hyperglycemia.
- Type 2 Diabetes occurs when the body may still be able to produce insulin, but the cells in the body don't respond well and can't easily take up enough glucose from the blood. This is called insulin resistance.
- Insulin resistance often occurs before the development of type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance causes the body to produce extra insulin, to compensate for ineffective insulin, which can cause hypoglycemia. Insulin resistance worsens over time, decreasing the body's ability to produce insulin.
Which Patients is the Fasting Insulin Test From BioReference Laboratories Best Used For?
A physician may request the Insulin test to:
- Monitor the therapy of various disorders of carbohydrate metabolism, including diabetes mellitus and hypoglycemia.
- Monitor the condition of patients with type 2 diabetes.
- To find out if there is a tumor on the pancreas known as an insulinoma.
- If the tumor was diagnosed and removed, the test might help to see if the surgery was successful.
- An insulin test is also used along with other tests to help diagnose and monitor type 1 diabetes. These additional tests may include blood glucose and blood hemoglobin AIC testing