Functional Lab Work Case Study
Presented By: Dr. Serraiocco, MD, IFMCP
- MD, IFMCP
- Sutter PAMF Integrative Medicine
- 16 years in practice
- Board certified in Internal Medicine & Integrative Medicine
- 48 y/o Male in excellent health
- Cardio & weights three times a week
- Smoothie every morning
- BMI 24
- ℅ low libido, erectile dysfunction, fatigue
- No s/sx psycho-emotional cause
Interpretation of Labs:
- Low testosterone levels, but why?
- Great Plains GPL-tox lab revealed an incredibly high toxin load, some of which are known endocrine disruptors.
- Detox smoothie daily (veggies)
- Sauna (goal: 45 minutes, 3-5 times a week)
- Optimal Detox Powder (Seeking Health) prior to Sauna
- NAC 600mg twice a day (in addition to Optimal Detox Powder)
Patient Follow-up after 6 Months:
The patient was compliant! He had his daily detox veggie smoothie. He used a Steam Room instead of a Sauna because he did not have access to one. He did this 25 minutes 2-3 times a week. He took his Optimal Detox Powder (Seeking Health) prior to steam room, and his NAC everyday.
The patient reported increased energy and muscle mass. He had a full return of libido and erectile function after 2 months. I repeated his GPL-tox lab and the results were much improved.
Overall, this patient had phenomenal results!
Dr. Serraiocco utilized the Great Plains GPL-Tox Profile test.
ADVANTAGES OF THE GPL-TOX PROFILE:
- Screens for 173 different environmental pollutants using 18 different metabolites, all from a single urine sample.
- Uses the power of advanced mass spectrometry (MS/MS), which is necessary to detect lower levels of certain genetic, mitochondrial, and toxic chemical markers that conventional mass spectrometry often misses.
- Also includes Tiglylglycine, a marker for mitochondrial damage, which is often seen in chronic toxic chemical exposure.
Through the utilization of Speciality Lab work combined with [standard blood tests], Dr. Serraiocco was able to get to the bottom of what was causing this patients issue, support him in resolving it. She re-pulled the test 6 months later, and it showed improved results!
Dr. Serraiocco mentioned another fascinating case to us, where toxins played heavy role. The case was of a woman who had been on disability for 30ish years for an "MS-like illness" causing muscle weakness, brain fog and fatigue. She went to Caltech University, yet she couldn't calculate a tip on a bill! She had a very heavy toxin load that Dr. Serraiocco was able to see utilizing the same GPL-Tox profile, and after 2 years of lifestyle changes and detox, she gained so much more of her life back. She no longer needed to use a cane, no longer needed to take naps in the afternoon, she was able to take road trips, her cognition returned and she even started writing a book!
Dr. Serraiocco mentioned to us that she notices high toxin levels in many of my "idiopathic peripheral neuropathy" patients. Some of them reverse with detox.